Pesto is a simple and delicious sauce that can be added to pasta, chicken or used as a dip with raw vegetables. The classic Italian pesto recipe uses basil, pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil, Parmigiano-Reggiano Parmesan and Pecorino Ramano. If you are happy to bend the rules and try something new then the pesto possibilities are endless! Basil can be swapped for kale, spinach, the leafy greens of carrot tops even broccoli. You can even try different nuts like walnuts and almonds. For this recipe I mixed it up by using hazelnuts and it turned out great! I’d love to hear if you try this or another exciting combination. Enjoy x
Serves 4 people
1 Bunch Organic basil leaves, destined
100 ml Extra virgin olive oil
1 Small peeled garlic
20g Hazelnuts with the skin
20g Parmigiano-Reggiano Parmesan
20g Pecorino Romano
Salt and pepper
(Add more or less cheese/olive oil to taste)
1. Add basil leaves to a small food processor.
2. Add olive oil, garlic, pine nuts, grated cheese, and seasoning.
3. Blend well. Pause and scrape down the sides of the food processor with a spatula.
4. Blend until mixed completely. If too thick, add more oil.
5. Add to any dish for extra flavor.
6. Store in a glass food container for up to a week in the fridge.
Recipe inspiration: Lello’s Italian Restaurant Chef Alfonso’s Pesto Alla Genovese